Friday, January 27, 2012

Rambling

Hello! This week has flown by so quickly! My language intensive course ends tomorrow with my final exam! I am confident that I will do well on it. After this exam, I have a week off until I start my other classes. I am taking a Social Politics class of Spain, History/Culture of Flamenco, Art of Spain, Civilization and Culture of Spain, and a Writing class this semester at the Universidad de Granada! I am looking forward to them.

This week a few friends from my class and I discovered an awesomely delicious bakery called Conchi, and the owner is a sweet, tiny, older lady who is friendly to everybody. Mostly everything in the shop is only one euro, and she has all types of pastries, breads, and sandwiches. They are all a fairly large size as well, so it is definitely worth the price. They are some of the best pastries/sandwiches/bread I have ever tasted. Everything in Spain is so delicious and going to Conchi during our twenty minute break from class has become my usual routine. I will be sure to take a picture of some of the delicious pastries I have eaten and update you all on that. Today I had a bocadillo with ham and cheese, caliente. So delicious. After lunch I went back and had a pastry with chocolate drizzled on top of a croissant with chocolate in the middle as well. It is absolutely amazing. Good thing I run almost every day, or else I might end up gaining weight... haha. Just kidding, we walk around too much here to be able to gain any weight. Between working out and walking everywhere, my legs are always tired at the end of the day and I fall right asleep each night.

Anyway, on Monday afternoon I am leaving to go to Barcelona for three nights and Madrid for another three nights. I am looking forward to this trip with two of my other amigas, and we have a lot planned! A lot of historical sights to see, but I'll save the surprise and tell you where I went after I have the proof! 

Last night was another intense soccer matchup between Barca and Real Madrid. This game was much more exciting, and I went to watch it with my Spanish friend and his group of friends. They are all really nice and I can really tell that I am getting better at understanding when they speak much faster, and also improving my speaking abilities tremendously. I can't believe I have been here for almost a month already! Time really has flown by so quickly... I don't want it to pass too fast! I love it here and I am learning a lot about different cultures and lifestyles, as well as about myself and others. I have met so many interesting people already and I am looking forward to meeting even more. Oh, by the way, Barca and Real Madrid ended up tying, 2-2, incase you care haha.

I also forgot to mention that I booked my trip to Palma de Mallorca, aka a freaking gorgeous island that is part of Spain. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! That's how I feel. I am going with three other friends at the end of April, and we are staying for four days and two nights. It is going to be wonderful. I am also in the process of booking a trip to Germany, and some other short trips to other cities in Spain and throughout Europe. 

Other random thoughts: I love running here. I usually run in the Federico García Lorca Park or beside the river that flows throughout Granada that leads up into the Sierra Nevada/Alhambra. It is so beautiful! I could end up running for miles and miles without even realizing it because I am enjoying the scenery too much. It never gets boring. Also, I love teterías and chino shops. The tea is amazing and there are so many options to choose from, and as for the chinos, well, they have everything you need for pretty much less than five euros. Amazing. I love walking to class every morning while listening to my iPod. It puts me in a great mood before class, even if I have no motivation to study for four hours. I love the food. I've already said this in about every other single entry, but seriously, come to Spain and eat Spanish food. It is delicious. Also, my host brother is hilarious. Every time he laughs, I burst out in laughter too because he is just so ridiculously hilarious sometimes. My house mate and I always look at each other and giggle like little school girls. Still addicted to Principe cookies. I'll post a photo of them sometime so that you know what they look like. I'm just warning you though, you're going to want to eat them. They are amazing. I love free tapas, especially at my favorite local bar. The bartender is a badass (pardon my language, but it is true. There is no better word to describe him, he is just that awesome). People here are generally very nice, but most of them enjoy staring at me because I'm American. I've learned to deal with it. Yeah, I wear shorts when I run because it's 60 degrees outside. It's "winter" to them, but it's springtime to me.

Well, enough rambling. I had pizza today and it was so delicious. Hawaiian pizza. Amazing. Fresh fruit here is the best thing. I love my señora's freshly squeezed orange juice. Absolutely the best. And café con leche twice a day. Ahh. I love it. I'm going to go now, my legs are cold because it is always freezing in the house and it's always warmer outside. Which is why I have three comforters on my bed. Sometimes it is difficult to get out of bed in the morning, but I do it because I know that I always have an exciting day ahead of me! Woohoo. Also, I discovered that I love coconut yogurt. Mmm. So good. Ok. Really, I'm done now. I will try and update again on Monday before I leave for Barcelona and Madrid, but if not, I'll be sure to update when I get back!


Taluego!
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment