Monday, January 30, 2012

Gelateria, Porrones, Vacation

Ahh! Hello! I am so excited! Tonight I leave for my week long break. I am headed to Barcelona for three nights and Madrid for another three nights. I can't wait! But before I go more in depth about what I'll be doing, I have a story to tell.

So, when I first came to Spain, one of the many things I couldn't wait to try was Gelato (so much better than ice cream.... mmmmmmm!!!!) I know it is an Italian thing, but there are plenty to be found here in Granada. I found a Gelateria fairly close to me, and I had no idea what to try. I ended up getting two scoops of a flavor called "Cookie" (sooo Spanish, I know). It has vanilla, caramel, cookie bites, and brownie bites mixed all together. It is amazing. The best thing I've ever had. I could have eaten the entire tub of it in one sitting. Anyway, to the point. I have been there about four times now (once a week), and the owner, a cute, older lady, always smiles when I come in. She finally said something to me about why I never want to try anything else and always get "Cookies". I told her that I am a faithful customer and once I find something I like, I stick with it forever. She just smiled and laughed, and I swear she gave me a little more than usual, which I'm not complaining about :D

Besides that, I have still been enjoying my time at school and exploring (still!). This past weekend I went out with some of my friends and we met up with some of our Spanish friends, and they showed us a typical Spanish drinking tradition with "porrones". If it is your first time, it can get a little messy. I spilled a little bit down the front of my shirt, but after a few rounds I started to get the hang of it! It is a fun thing to do with a bunch of friends and count to see who can drink the longest or see who can extend the porrón the farthest.

Well, I am going to get headed out because I need to finish packing! You will have to wait and see what wonderful sights I see after I get back and write all about it! Have a great week!

Here are some photos of what a porrón is and what it looks like when you drink from it.

 This is a porrón
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment