Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Antibiotics and Alhambra

I finally got into the doctor Thursday evening. It actually went a lot smoother than I thought it would. Surprisingly I remembered most of the vocabulary from eighth grade (thanks Señora B... err, was it Ms. Laub? Hahahaha). Anyway, I only had to look up the word for "runny" and refresh my memory on "resfriado" (which means "cold"). The doctor was very nice and she treated me right away, and I received three antibiotics for only eight euros. I was so shocked... I had to sit there for a few seconds and think it through that she literally just said eight euros and not eighty... haha. So I have been taking my medicine for about four days now and I am feeling so much better. Unfortunately, the night that I received my antibiotics, the next morning I woke up with what I thought to be pink eye. I have never had an allergic reaction to any medicine before, but I thought maybe it might be because of the differences between countries. It doesn't matter now because my eye is feeling a lot better after buying more medicine from the pharmacy, luckily I didn't have to go to the doctor this time.

Other than that, Friday and Saturday night I went out with friends and we had a great time hanging out and talking to some locals. Saturday we went to the Alhambra, which I was so excited for! I took plenty of notes and tons of photos, and I enjoyed every second of it. I can't wait to return in the Spring when all the plants and flowers are in bloom, but it still looked absolutely stunning. I loved learning/reviewing about the Arabic/Muslim history and finally being able to see all of it in person instead of imagining it all through photos. We saw the three palaces and the garden. The first palace was used for the justice courts, the second was for the administration and government, and the third was used as the Lion's court (the place for men and women to be together). In the Lion's court, the musicians had to be blind so that they couldn't see all the women that the king kept (he had anywhere between 10-200 women). The king who had the most women was Muhammed the 5th, who had over 200 women. The architecture was phenomenal, most of the ceilings were compiled of over 8,000 pieces of different materials, and the walls are over 600 years old. I could sit here and tell you five hundred other random things about the Alhambra, but I'll just post a few photos instead.

Besides the Alhambra, I have just been spending time at school or with friends. Yesterday I went and had tea in Albaycin with my Spanish friend who I met last week. This weekend I am going to Malaga with 5 other friends and I cannot wait! It won't be super warm, but we are still planning on going to the beach and hang out for awhile. It will be a great trip! I am loving it here so far and I am happy to get to know other people from my program and also some locals! I also got a house mate on Saturday afternoon and she is from the University of Michigan. She is super nice (shout out to you, Sarah!) and it is a lot less awkward around the house now that she is here, haha. It was never super awkward before, but it is nice to have someone else to relate to! We try not to speak English in the house though because we don't want to make our Señora feel bad or anything like that. We are planning to go shopping soon since now is the time with all the rebajas (sales and rebates) after Christmas. They have huge sales up until the middle of March, so I will have to go buy some big boots since those are really popular for the chicas here in Spain. I only have shorter boots, but apparently boots that go all the way up to your knees are the big hit.

Also, I find it hilarious that the people here in Spain take everything so literally (most of the time). They are quite gullible, and it is kind of funny to mess around with them. Of course, the same goes on their end, because I have caught myself looking like a fool in front of some Spaniards, due to the different lifestyle aspects and manners, what is polite and impolite, etc. I love when people stare at me when I am running around Granada wearing shorts and a bright shirt. It is 65 degrees here (most of the time) and they are all bundled up in double layers, jackets, scarves, hats, gloves, etc. and here I am enjoying this warm weather in shorts. Oh well! I don't mind being stared at, they already know I'm American anyway because of my skin tone and hair color.

Anyway, I'm going to go run! Here's some photos.
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment