Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sacromonte, Sierra Nevada, Exploring

Hey everybody! This past week has mostly been just hanging out and exploring even more of Granada. I find it ironic that everyone here calls Granada so "tiny", but I seem to find something new to discover every day. It is quite exciting and I enjoy exploring and I am always up for an adventure.

The weekend after I got home from Germany, I celebrated my birthday with some friends. We went and got tapas a few different nights and we had a lot of fun. This week I have just been busy with classes, and as I said, in my free time I like to go explore more of Granada.

On Tuesday I went to Sacromonte ("Sacred Mountain"), a traditional "gitano" part of the city of Granada. I went to visit the famous Abadía (Abbey), which was built in the early seventeeth century, where relics and testimonies of the first Christians of Granada are conserved and, among them, the first bishop of the city: San Cecilio. The Centre of Interpretation of the Sacromonte also allows knowing the history of the neighborhood. The complex has three main parts: the Abbey made in Seventeenth and Eighteenth centuries, the College of the Seventeenth Century, and the Seminary. I went and saw the museum there, and afterwards enjoyed the view looking out from above the city. I also explored one of the caves which was really neat to see and think about how many of the gypsies still live in caves such as the one I visited. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures of it, so you'll just have to take my word for how awesome it was. Haha.

Yesterday I FINALLY got to go skiing in the Sierra Nevada! This is a great thing about Granada, in one hour I can go visit a beach, and another hour in the opposite direction I can go ski in the mountains. Let me just say it was absolutely beautiful. I am an avid skier and love to go whenever I get the chance, so there was no way I was passing this up. The slopes were beautiful, the weather was perfect, and today I am so sore and I am not sorry about it. All of the slopes here were much more difficult than any of the ones I have done back in the U.S. A green circle (beginners course) could have been a blue square (medium) at most other courses. The blue square slopes in the Sierras would easily be considered a black diamond (advanced) course in the United States. They were so fun! I may or may not have fallen one time, but I blame it because there was a huge random snow pile in the middle of my run and there were a lot of people around me. Either way, it was a blast and I kind of enjoyed having my one fall on the Sierra Nevada. I let nature get the best of me, I guess. Haha. Anyway, it was definitely the highlight of my week and I wouldn't mind going back once more before they shut down for the season.

This week I am just preparing for midterms which are coming up the following week. Also, recreation sports start this week so I am looking forward to that. I am playing volleyball, basketball, and soccer. It is going to be really fun, hopefully I won't get too competitive with it since it is just recreation... hahaha. I can't help it that I have a mental attitude where I always want to win or push myself. Anyway... that's about it for now.

Here's some photos:
 Abbey of Sacromonte

 Sacromonte

 View of Sacromonte from one side

And the view from the other side

 Hangin' out

 Sierra Nevada! Took this photo inside the ski lift

 And this one as well.

 Some neat graffiti I came across while exploring

Another one

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment